Clinics & Services
Health Promotion and Disease Management
Our nurses run clinics for patients with the following conditions:
- COPD (chronic bronchitis and related conditions)
- Heart Disease
- High Blood Pressure
- Health Checks - appointments for health checks are available with a doctor on request to patients aged 16-75 years of age who have not seen a clinician at the surgery within the last 3 years, and for patients aged 75 years and over who have not seen a clinician at the surgery in the last 12 months. Anyone can book an appointment at any time for a health check with one of our nurses.
- Cervical Smears - in order to reduce the risk of developing cancer of the cervix, it is recommended that all women from the ages of 25 to 65 have a smear test every 3 to 5 years depending on their age. This is part of a national screening programme, and you should receive a letter from the national screening programme telling you when your smear is due. It is a simple test which takes only a few minutes to perform, and can be carried out by one of our nurses or female doctors.
- Childhood Immunisations - Cumbria Primary Care Trust sends out appointments for childhood immunisations on our behalf, but you can ring the surgery to arrange or rearrange appointments if you wish. It is recommended that every child should be protected against diptheria, tetanus, whooping cough, polio, measles, mumps, rubella, meningitis c and hib.pneumonia. Full immunisation helps to stop the spread of these diseases.
- Travel Vaccinations -tetanus immunisations and injections for overseas travel can be given by our travel vaccine nurse, who has access to the latest information regarding vaccines needed for any particular destination. She can also offer healthcare advice for travellers, including advice on treatment to prevent malaria in those areas where there is a risk.
- Family Planning - general family planning and contraceptive advice can be given during ordinary surgery appointments by the GPs or our nurse practitioner. It is our policy to see women who take the contraceptive pill every six months for a routine check including blood pressure. Dr Megan Wyatt will carry out insertion of the Implanon hormonal implant. You will need to book an appointment to discuss and assess the suitability of either of these procedures before booking an appointment for the procedure itself.
- Minor Surgery - Dr M Wyatt and Dr A M Thimmiah provide minor surgery services by appointment.